Thursday, October 23, 2014

Halloween Fun!

Halloween is my favorite month :)  Not only do I love the festivities, but it is a time where things slow down enough for me to have time to play with my food.  Below is a little of the fun that is going on in my kitchen.

I'll start with the eyes, so they can watch over the rest of this post.


For the meringue eyeballs, use your favorite meringue recipe and method. There are so many theories as to how long to bake and what temp. You don't want these to brown much or the colors will go funky on that so keep that in mind. Simply pipe into round or oval mounds, next to each other, two at a time. After they cooled, I used royal icing for the pupils. Piping another color of meringue on top or using candies works well too.


For the above Halloween pancakes use a fairly thin batter. If you have an electric skillet that you can regulate the temp well that is best. Keep the temp around 200F to keep them from browning.  You don't want these to be too think or they will take forever to cook or not even cook completely at all.  Use piping bags or bottles to free hand designs or use greased metal cookie cutters to hold the shapes.  


What is Halloween without candy corn?  These were for the concession stand at my son's football game.  They are ridiculously simple.  Use a round pan and build from the outside edge towards the center. You can make 3 batches or do as I do and eyeball it. Once they set up use a skewer to poke in a hole and then add your stick or sturdy straw.

Have a great rest of Halloween month everyone!



No comments: